Previous Honorary Members
R G Williams OBE
Former Secretary of the National Institute of Oceanography at Wormley and former Treasurer of the Challenger Society for Marine Science from 1956 - 1973. Sadly, Ray died in January of 2016 aged 92.
Ray Williams played a key role in managing the Institute’s finances and most notable in managing the funding the construction of the new (1962) RRS Discovery.
- Prof RI Currie
- Commander WJ Copenhagen
- Sir George Edward Raven Deacon FRS 1906-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1985 vol 31 pp 111-142)
- Dr Cyril Lucas, biography
- Sir Frederick Stratten Russell FRS 1897-1984 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1986 vol 32 pp 461-493)
- JN Carruthers
- HO Bull
- Eric Henry Edwardes Havelock CB, CBE, OBE, FRSE
- Joseph Proudman FRS 1888-1975 (Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 1976 vol 22 pp 319-333)
- William Thomas Calman FRS 1871-1952 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1952-1953 vol 8 pp 355-372) HU Sverdrup
- GP Bidder
- Dr HR Mill
- Mr HG Maurice
- Edgar Johnson Allen FRS 1866-1942 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1942-1944 vol 4 pp 357-367)
- HB Bigelow, biography
- E le Danois
- G Gilson
- B Helland-Hansen
- O Pettersson
- G Schott
- Swire (last surviving member of officers and scientific staff of HMS Challenger)
- Dr Johan Hjort FRS 1869-1948 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1950-1951 vol 7 pp 167-181)
- Prof Georg Ossian Sars
- H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco
- Prof Dr Karl Brandt
- Prof Dr Carl Chun
- Prof Max Wilhelm Carl Weber FRS 1852-1937 (Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1936-1938 vol 2 pp 347-355)
Offshore Survey 2019 Announces Keynote Speakers
Offshore Survey, which takes place alongside Ocean Business at the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton UK, from 10-11 April 2019, is delighted to confirm two high profile speakers to deliver keynote presentations on each day of the conference.
Cheri Arvonio, Offshore Survey’s Event Manager commented, “We’re excited to announce that Rear Admiral Tim Lowe CBE, who is the Acting Chief Executive of the UK Hydrographic Office, will be delivering one of the keynote presentations and John Pinder, who recently retired from his position as Port Hydrographer at the Port of London Authority will also be presenting a keynote. Both offer a vast resource of knowledge working at the forefront of the industry.”
Associate Editor Positions - Journal of Operational Oceanography
Jounrnal of Operational Oceanagraphy is seeking to appoint Associate Editors.
Coastal Ocean Processes - UEA - April 1st and 2nd 2019
Please go to the Coastal Processes SIG page for detail of the meeting....